Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Burrowes Mansion in Matawan, NJ

The Burrowes Mansion in Matawan, NJ was built in 1723.On this site the first New Jersey company was mustered to join the forces in the Revolutionary War. For more information on the historical significance of the house and to see what it looked in circa 1890, click here.

This site is also unique because it is believed to be haunted. Major John Burrowes's wife, Margaret was killed by a British soldier for refusing to come to the aid of a wounded Redcoat. Her ghost is said to to haunt the house, still looking after her homestead. As a matter of fact , you could have purchased tickets to join a paranormal investigation that took place at this site on October 20, 2010 ( click here). The mansion is also mentioned in  a recent edition of the book Haunted New Jersey by Patricia A Martinelli and Richard A. Stansfield Jr.

I chose this site because  I am a distant relative of John and Margaret Burrowes. Burrowes is my maiden name.  When I went to the site  I did not know about the  eerie background of the house. As I stood across the street and  took some pictures, I did didn't notice anything peculiar. It wasn't until I started to do some back ground checking that I found the story of Margaret. When I was playing with the pictures to create my montage, I realized that there was a faint light glowing in one of the windows, so I decided to put a ghostly spin on my video.


Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com

Posted by Angel Burrowes Somers

2 comments:

  1. It is great what a little music and sepia tone will do to a place. Wouldn't it be cool to have glasses that could do that for you while standing in front of a place? Maybe there is an app for that on the iPad.

    This is not the only posting to note legends about ghosts. It is, however, the first one to have an "official" ghost hunting event connected to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "lens" you put on your experience, also how you leave it open to the viewers to figure out.
    What a contrast to my site- Frazee Homestead- where a woman was asked for bread from an enemy troop, and when it was offered in "fear" the officer declined. I guess in Matawan the British troops were not as friendly.

    ReplyDelete