Saturday, November 13, 2010

Laurelwood Arboretum, Wayne NJ

The Laurelwood Arboretum was purchased in the 1930’s by John and Dorothy Knippenberg.  The Knippenbergs were well known for their work with Rhododendrons and Azaleas; creating multiple hybrids.    




For a link to the Laurelwood Arboretums site click here.

Dorothy Knippenberg continued to work at Laurelwood after it’s donation to the township of Wayne as part of the township’s park system.  Currently Laurelwood is maintained by FOLA (Friends of Laurelwood Arboretum). 

Laurelwood Arboretum is said to be Wayne’s “Best Kept Secret”.  Due in part to the difficulty in finding it.  It is off the beaten path, and not well marked, but worth the visit. 

The Arboretum has many paths that diverge and cross.  When visiting one is reminded of the Robert Frost poem, The Road Not Taken. 

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, 
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 

Then took the other, as just as fair, 
And having perhaps the better claim, 
Because it was grassy and wanted wear; 
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way, 
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence: 
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by, 
And that has made all the difference. 



For a small taste of the Laurelwood Arboretum, view the attached video.  
  




4 comments:

  1. I hadn't read the whole poem in a long time, and this was a perfect way to do so. My family tries to go on walks as often as possible, and I think next time we do I'm going to bring the poem with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such wonderful mix of technology, literature, and nature! The perfect balance of all three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so peaceful... I'm going to have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video and I really like the poem you selected!

    ~Gaby

    ReplyDelete