Saturday, November 13, 2010

Kathryn Gunter - Red Mill & Terhune House Paramus, NJ





Red Mill - Paramus NJ

The Red Mill in Paramus, NJ is the site of a grist mill built in 1745.  During the Revolutionary War many raids and encounters happened at this site.  The inscription reads:

"Site of grist mill built 1745; scene of many raids and encounters during the Revolution. Aaron Burr was entertained here Christmas Eve commemorating his victory over British Raiders in 1776. Washington and his men often passed here. Lafayette stopped here on his return visit to America in 1825."

To read more about the Red Mill visit the following site:
http://www.bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/redmill.html

When I was telling my students about the project that I had to do for class they became very interested in the historic sites and the Revolutionary War.  Due to their interest we found videos on You Tube about the Revolutionary War.  This was one of their favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HeoL6EEq0





































Terhune - Van-Dien House - Paramus, NJ
This farm house was built in 1795.  It is one of the oldest farm homes in Paramus.  It has been updated throughout the years.  The inscription reads:

"Built about 1795 by Henry S. Terhune in “Old Paramus” on land owned by the Terhune family since 1707. the two-hundred acre farm extended for over a mile between the Saddle River and Sprout Brook. In 1853 the house was inherited by Terhune’s grandson, John Zabriskie Van Dien, and was owned by his family for three generations. Alterations to the farmhouse have been made over the years."

I was searching online to find a picture of the original Terhune-Van Dien House but was not able to find it.  I was then searching for artwork of farm houses and came across the following piece:

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-red-cottage-cindy-carrillo.html

When I saw this I invisioned the original Terhune-Van Dien house to look like this red cottage. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm interested to know why your students liked that video in particular.

    As for the spaces, reading this makes me want to look at a map to find the two rivers. I zoomed in on the map we using, and it looks like google doesn't make that kind of information easily viewable.

    I also think it is sad that all it takes is about 10 minutes of painting to make these historical signs easier to read, but clearly that is not a priority for anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up down the road from the Red Mill. The wooden roof and waterwheel are relatively new. Once when I was a kid and the structure was only a stone tower, I overheard my aunt telling my cousin that it was the remains of Dracula's castle. I knew this wasn't true (because I knew it really was in Europe), but it weirded me out for years afterwards everytime my family drove by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor Jacobson - I asked my students why they liked this video out of others that I showed them and their response was, "We like the music!" Obviously the content of the video went right over their heads! At least I tried :)

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of the mil... but I would perhaps include information on grist... I had to look up what it was. Was it a major crop in NJ?

    ReplyDelete