Sunday, November 14, 2010

President Stephen Grover Cleveland Birthplace

President Stephen Grover Cleveland was born on March 18, 1833 and Died June 24, 1908.  He lived in Caldwell, New Jersey until he was 4 years of age.

Factoids:
Grover Cleveland was the only president to serve 2 non-consecutive terms as president: 22nd President (1885-1889) and 24th President (1893-1897). Grover Cleveland was also the only President to ever be married in the White House.


Listen to a portion of President Grover Cleveland's Inaugural Address
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-5Bk1Hjstc

Official Site of President Stepehen Grover Cleveland's Birthplace
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/historic/grover_cleveland/gc_home.htm












Notable Quotes From President Grover Cleveland Giving Insight To His Views:

"Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote."

A man is known by the company he keeps, and also by the company from which he is kept out."
 





Grover Cleveland returned to Princeton, New Jersey upon retiring from political life. He is buried in the cemetery of the Nassau Presbyterian Church in Princeton.


4 comments:

  1. I am particularly interested in these wax cylinders. I imagine supporters circulating these, collecting people in their drawing rooms in order to listen to his words. I guess opponents might also do the same.

    Here is another story about such cylinders:

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122367135148524013.html

    The dates seem to be off, since the Cleveland recordings are earlier. However, it does give a sense of the way they were used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting info...thanks for offering deeper insight into the recording. I was absolutely amazed when I found an actual recording of Grover Cleveland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about doing this site for the project, too, but it was already taken. I also liked how you included the clip of Cleveland's speech - pretty amazing considering how long it's been!

    ~Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembering my mother dragging me here as a kid. I think it would be interesting to revisit it now. Amazing recording! - Karen

    ReplyDelete