Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sound of Asbury Park

When I first approached this project, I decided that I wanted to select a location that I thought deserved a historical marker. Imagine my surprise when I got down to the boardwalk and realized that there indeed was a marker to recognize the Sound of Asbury Park.  While Bruce Springsteen is not the only name on that marker, I chose to highlight his lyrics in my tribute. I would have liked to add music to the video, but I didn't think I could do that without permission from the artist.


SOAP from A Somers on Vimeo.

Posted by Angel Somers

4 comments:

  1. I've never been to Asbury Park (I feel like I've never been to most of the places people have posted on!), but seeing these photos helps me set his songs in more of a context. I'm not a huge fan of his music, but I think I understand what people here in it. Next time I listen, I'll keep these images in mind.

    However, S.O.A.P. seems an unfortunate acronym for a style of music that prides itself on being a bit scruffy.

    I think it was wise not to have the full songs, although I think you might be able to get away with short snippets. You could also direct people to play the songs you note if they already have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this video...it seems like it would be a cool project for high school students to research local artists- music or otherwise and see where they get their local inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think, as Amy points out, this would be a good project for high school students to draw them into historical information or looking deeper into an artist through music that they are familiar with.
    Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both of the earlier posts that this and many different types of locative media fit well into the High School Social Studies classroom. It would also provide the opportunity for differentiated instruction if students were able to select their songs, locations, and mediums. We often discuss Asbury Park in class when discussing the concept of eminent domain. It would be very interesting to have students profile eminent domain laws in a movie with images and song clips from the area.

    ReplyDelete