Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The World's First Drive-In Movie Theater







It ushered in the summer of '33 on Admiral Wilson Boulevard in Camden, NJ: the world's first drive-in movie theater. Invented by local business owner Richard Hollingshead, the drive-in was located on the 2800-2900 blocks near the Pennsauken border. Rosemont Avenue runs through the property now with a Shell Station on one side and Zinman Furs on the other. This is where I stood to capture the images posted above.

I felt like some kind of pop culture archaeologist tracking this site down and was so happy to find it. If it weren't for the fences and threatening signs, I would have gladly poked around the fields to see if I could find some physical traces of the theater's footprints. I have such fond memories of going to drive-in movies in Northern New Jersey when I was a kid. I watched with much sadness as the land underneath them was sold off and they were demolished to make way for more profitable shopping malls and corporate parks.


Above is a photo of the site before they broke ground for the drive-in theater. It's amazing how much it resembles the current, barren state of the property. Below is a newspaper clipping explaining the new drive-in concept to its readers, a video anniversary celebration as noted by The History Channel and some amusing period advertisements.







7 comments:

  1. This is great. I love drive-in movies, and I love the advertisements. The smoking part is still true, which is a big of a drag (no pun intended). I was at one last summer and was shocked to have to deal with smoking.

    There is only one left in New Jersey, in Vineland. Has anybody been to that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. From the advertisements I can almost imagine being there.
    I have not been to the one in Vineland, and barely remember piling in the station wagon on a summer vacation in upstate NY to go to one. What a neat experience though. I have to think that with the dawn of in car TV's and DVD's are kids now a days going to think a drive in is cool? They get to do it all the time now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the primary resources! I think what makes the drive ins exciting is that they are out of the ordinary, and have more of a communal feeling--- everyone is watching the same thing- can laugh at all the laughs together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family went to drive in movies regularly when I was a kid.Your project brought back many fond memories of piling in the family station wagon in our pajamas so we could go to watch a Disney double feature at the drive-in.

    The movie clip was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would've thought the very first drive-in movie theater was right here in NJ! I loved the clip.... it was great! I've never been to the one in Vineland...didn't even know it existed! I'd love to take a ride down one day and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to my first drive-in movie this past spring and it was great. There is one in Warwick NY right over the NJ border. There is an old sign out front that gives times and schedules and a snack bar on the grounds. When I am there I feel like I am going back in time. The advertisements you included add to the feeling of time travel. Drive-in movies seem to represent a simpler time, but I guess all generations look to the past and think of the time periods before them as being simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to the drive in in Warwick also. I love it! My friends and I pile into a pick up truck or two in the summer and sit in the bed and watch the movies on the big screen. every time we see a shooting star or two which adds to the fun and it's definitely not something you could do at an indoor theater! I like that you showed what the space once was compared to what it is like today. I wish there were more of them around!

    ReplyDelete