Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart -- by: Gaby Teixeira

The Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart (located at 89 Ridge Street in Newark, NJ) is the fifth largest cathedral in the United States and features impressive stained-glass windows produced by the famed Zettler glass artisans of Munich, Germany. 





The idea of a new Cathedral church in the city of Newark was first proposed by Bishop Bayley in 1859.  Bishop Bayley took the first formal steps in making his dream a reality when he purchased a plot of land on the corner of High and Kinney Streets on January 17, 1859. The actual transaction, for the sum of $60,000, was executed on January 2, 1871, when Bishop Bayley acquired a deed from owners Peter T. Doremus and Hiram M. Rhodes. The Cathedral project was passed on to his successor Michael Augustine Corrigan, who authorized excavation of the site under Mr. O'Rourke's direction in 1875 and 1876.





After many years of conflicts, design changes, and halts, finally, on October 19, 1954, the dream that had been envisioned by Bishop Bayley became a reality. Archbishop Boland dedicated Newark's mighty Cathedral in a ceremony in which he also received the pallium -- the symbol of archiepiscopal dignity -- from Archbishop Amleto Cicognani, Apostolic Delegate to the United States.  The Cathedral emerged as the center of faith and devotion for the people of the Archdiocese.







Newark's majestic Cathedral Church was designated an historic landmark by the New Jersey Historical Society in December 1974. Two years later, on December 22, 1976, national recognition was given the Cathedral through its designation as a National Historic Site.
For more information about the Cathedral, click on the link below:  http://www.cathedralbasilica.org/ 

I created a short video clip with the photographs I took when I visited the Cathedral.  The music is by the West Minster Choir singing "Sicut cervus desiderat."  Click here to listen to the entire song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsw1kdLqfec








Below is a quick, informative video clip that I found about the Cathedral.  Click on the link below to view the video clip.

http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2009/04/the_cathedral_basilica_of_the.html


I chose to inlcude the following poem, Cathedrals by James Freeman, because it portrays the images and feelings I experienced when I visited the Cathedral.

There will be no more cathedrals built
as St. Vitus was in Prague
over six hundred years
The toil begun, cornerstones laid
by those who knew
a roof would not be achieved
in their lifetime
or those of grandsons
These were men looking beyond mortality
these planners
these craftsmen
of dreams
Mankind no longer spends a lifetime
on his knees
either to pray or to build
and there's sense in that
But I stand in the shadow of this cathedral
and watch the sunlight sifted
through a seive of stained glass
in stunned wonder
at the sheer beauty of that labor
No, they'll not be built again
as this one was
and that's all that can be said

6 comments:

  1. Having driven past this location any number of times, I had no idea of how long it took to build. It strikes me as odd that is was given historical status, even though it was only completed and opened in the 1950's. I guess the status was conferred because of when construction began.

    There is a church in Barcelona that has been under construction for over 100 years:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagrada_Fam%C3%ADlia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have looked at this post several times...outstanding job! I really thought you captured the essence of the cathedral. I drive by this beautiful structure every day on my way to work yet how true that we take for granted what is right in front of us!
    I found myself listening to Gregorian Chants that seemed to set the mood.
    I am very interested in churches & have traveled to many in Europe, the US, and even Iceland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures came out great! I liked how the 2nd picture was shot from below to look up... it made the church have an odd or confusing look... which seemed parallel to the information below it stating how long it took to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The church looks beautiful and I too am struck by how long this church was in construction! I think just the pictures themselves really set a tone because most people do not think of Newark containing such beautiful structures!! It almost defines the entire town in a new way and makes others realize there may be more to a space than its reputation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much everyone! I couldn't believe how long it took to build, too! I grew up in Newark, and didn't know that the Cathedral was located there until I went to Barringer High School to take the Praxis! The structure is absolutely magnificent and breath-taking. I literally had to cross the street in order to capture the Cathedral in the shot. It was nice to revisit it, because the last time I was there was 7 years ago for my sister's wedding. (Talk about getting "cold feet" walking down that extremely long aisle!"

    ~Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have driven past that cathedral, and never stopped to noticed the beauty of it. I thought the music suited the pictures in the video. I was amazed at how long it took to build.

    ReplyDelete