Sunday, November 14, 2010

Canfield-Morgan House -- by: Gaby Teixeira

The Canfield-Morgan House, also known as Morgan's Farm, is a famous building located at 903 Pompton Avenue in Cedar Grove, New Jersey. The original house, owned by the Canfield’s, was probably built around 1825.  In 1910, the Morgan’s purchased the farm from the Canfield family. The Morgan’s transformed the farm into an elegant country estate. Inside the house plumbing was installed and electricity was connected.  The architectural style is Mid-19th Century Revival. The Canfield–Morgan House is currently a museum of the local history and culture of Cedar Grove.









In the farmhouse, artifacts and family heirlooms dating back to the 1800’s are on display, shedding light on a simpler lifestyle. Before World War II, Cedar Grove, a 4.5-square mile township, was covered with farmland. Slowly, the land was developed.









Morgan was known for hiring young people in town to work on his farm and in his apple orchards.  He also grew pumpkins, tomatoes and corn. The farmer would invite the public to use his two tennis courts, one of which was once covered with a bubble in the winter. He also had a mini ski slope that he outfitted with a tow rope hooked up to a diesel-powered motor, so skiers could pull themselves back up the hill. Now the courts are gone, and the slope is mostly used for sledding. The farm no longer exists, but a cemetery with gravestones dating back to the 1700s remains.








Area where the tennis courts used to be

The township owns the land and the farmhouse and barn are leased to the historical society for $1 a year.









Click here for more information about Morgan's Farm.


“As the last farm in Cedar Grove, Morgan’s Farm illustrates a way of life that no longer exists in the area.” Click here to view a brochure that explains in more detail the history of the farm and includes a layout of all the land that belonged to the Canfield-Morgan Family.



I found a video clip on YouTube that portrays the way of life in the 1800's.  It was done as a school project, and I think the students involved did a great job!  Click here to view. 

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to swing by this place next time I am in Cedar Grove.

    I like the fact that he had the tennis courts and skiing open to the public.

    I'm not sure about the video - it seems a bit random in terms of content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how much NJ farm land has been turned into museums... especially with NJ being the Garden State... Is the house open to the public?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor Jacobson - I moved to Cedar Grove in the summer of 2008 (and I didn't realize this until I went to take pictures of the farm), but my husband and I went to this farm to buy pumpkins to decorate our walkway outside for our first fall season. The tennis courts were covered with leaves, and it wasn't until I saw the sign they had posted that I realized what the big open space used to be used for. As for the video, I couldn't find anything specific to the Morgan Farms, so I decided to look for a video that portrayed life in the 1800's because that was when the farm was first built.

    Amy - Yes, I agree with your statement. The house is open to the public - Wednesdays from 9 am to 1 pm and by appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool! I never knew it was there and I love so close! I thought it was interesting that the historical society leases parts of the land for only $1 a year!

    ReplyDelete